[alt-photo] Re: BW POP pinhole

Robert Young rwybeaker at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 05:53:36 GMT 2010

B&W paper (any old RC paper is a good choice, I used some old Ilford MG III) and a pin hole camera.

One camera was made from a pint paint can I bought at the hardware store.  It was an empty, clean can with a dark gray interior.  The only two things I did to it were to cut a 1/2" diameter hole centered on one side and securely tape from the inside a little brass shim with my pin hole.  The photo paper was cut to 4" x 10" and wrapped nearly all the way around inside the can.

I strapped the can, upside down so that water would not sit on the lid, to a post on my back-yard deck.  Uncovered the pinhole and left it alone for 3 months, December to March.  The can was quite rusty on the outside after 3 months of snow and rain.  My second use of the can failed as it rusted through.  If I was to make a new one I would paint the outside of the can with several coats of a good, enamel paint to protect the tin.

Removed the paper and simply scanned the image.  That "negative" now lives in a black plastic bag in a file cabinet.

DO NOT USE A DEVELOPER.  The paper will go 100% black.

If you do not fix the negative (no stop bath needed) it will fade back one or two stops.  You can experiment with toners to try and intensify the negative but I think in the end you will just loose the density.

You can probably get an exposure in less then 3 months, perhaps even a week if your pinhole is a little on the large size for the focal length of the camera.

Rob