[alt-photo] Re: applying PVA size

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:03:51 GMT 2010

For those of you that are starting PVA use, here is the word of advice. I found it helpful to be consistent and to have just the right thickness of the PVA size. The way I accomplish that is to premix the PVA with water to the right consistency (whatever that might be for your paper, typical is 1:1) and measure the amount of size that I apply. I use 25 cc per full sheet of FA. This should be enough for a quick brushing on the paper to where the whole paper is covered without dry spots. Sometimes a cc ot two  extra is needed. My brush is a 2" cheap brown nylon of a thin variety(something like synthetic hake) that I have used for years. I think it was purchased at Michaels for around $5.

So my useage is 12 cc of undiluted PVA/sheet, a very thin coat. Actually I could not coat that thin in an even layer as the paper would dry before I could spead it all around. 25 cc is what is needed for an even coat without creating puddles. I used the same amount for gelatine size.

Marek