[alt-photo] Re: Fabriano Artistico 300 gsm - for Cyanotype

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Sun Mar 7 10:43:26 GMT 2010

Treating it with dilute (something around 2-5%, better to stay on the
low side...) hydrochloric (HCl), acetic or oxalic acid (and a good
rinse/wash later) will make it work with trad. cyanotype (and new
cyanotype). I tread my Artistico with HCl, for about two minutes (or
slightly longer - until I see no bubbles and the fizzing sound stops),
flipping the paper halfway. I then wash the paper for 30 minutes,
changing water every 5 minutes. It gives me very strong blacks and
very little bleeding (paper absorbs the sensitizer very successfully)
with trad. cyanotype. I like it very much because I can readily find
it locally for relatively good prices and it's a perfect paper for
gumovers. Haven't tried to neutralize it with citric acid, but
probably it will work too. As I said before I much prefer HCl for the
job. See the list archives (located in three different places, let me
know if you need the web addresses...) for more information.

Hope this helps,
Loris.