[alt-photo] Re: Weston Diploma Parchment

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 8 13:26:45 GMT 2010

Jon,

Have you printed any of these without using a hair dryer beforehand?
I'm thinking your problem might be either exhausted ferric oxalate,
and/or use of the hair dryer-- as well as allowing it to sit for an
additional 15 minutes after using the hair dryer(?).  I taught a
workshop once where there was some evidence of fogging, but only for
those people using hair dryers-- even when they set it on a "cool"
setting.  When we eliminated the use of hair dryers, the problem
disappeared.   Just a suggestion, but it's worth a try to switch to
fresh ferric oxalate and skip the hair dryer.  I also think certain
papers are really a disaster for pt/pd.  I used to use, many years,
ago Cranes Platinotype (sp?), and I couldn't completely clear a print
on that paper to save my life-- no matter what I used..  I never liked
the Weston paper, either, but I know I'm in the minority there.  I
just don't like the weight of it.

Diana