[alt-photo] Re: Metalotype

ender100 ender100 at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 19:02:40 GMT 2010

While I think there is value in imagination and thinking of new ways to use technologies, I agree with Paul and Keith.  Many people I know, including myself, went to alternative process printing after they got bored with inkjet printing and longed for doing hand-made prints.  I don't need to repeat the value of creating something by hand.  As Richard Sullivan pointed out, this is not something new.  In fact there are some really exciting alternative uses for inkjet printing in the sciences, where they are used in say microbiology to lay down very precise grids of organic materials and even living tissue for experimental purposes—or used to coat substrates as in fuel cell technology.

One caution about this would be a real concern that is growing in the conventional inkjet world, and that is the dispersion of substances into the air by inkjet printers.  Some printing houses are even installing exhaust hoods on their printers.  I certainly wouldn't want heavy metals floating around in the air in my home.

I'll keep doing my hand made prints.
--
Best Wishes,

Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives
PDNPrint Forum @ Yahoo Groups

Mark Nelson Photography

On Mar 11, 2010, at 1:48:32 PM, "Keith Gerling" <keith.gerling at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm excited. Identical tricolor gumprints in one pass with no pesty
clearing-bath hassles. Think of all the time that I'll save!