[alt-photo] Alternative Exposure Unit (no pun intended)

Gumprint Gumprint at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 21:58:08 GMT 2010

Christine, Group:

I had been using a custom made BLB set up with 8-24" bulbs for over 15
years. The bulbs are very expensive to replace and my exposures were 90
seconds to 7 minutes. Last month Barry Schmetter brought in a Fotodiox unit
for me to use for a gumprint demo at the Large Format and Alternative
Photography Gathering (Metro Wash DC). Using my gum/pigment mix 1:1 with 15%
ammonium dichromate sensitizer I was able to reduce my first emulsion from 7
minutes to 70 seconds. It was perfect. The second emulsion was correct in 30
seconds. This unit has completely changed the way I print.

 http://www.fotodiox.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=78 fitted it
with 16 Bright Effects (swirly type; 26 watts daylight or 6000K from Lowes).
The unit is intended to sit on a lighting tripod but I added a clamp and
attach it to a heavily loaded bookcase. The unit is currently going for $135
+ shipping. Add $30 for a clamp if you can't rig up something, a builder
pack of the bulbs, and you have a very fast, compact, and portable exposure
device.

Best,
Carole