[alt-photo] Re: Alternative Exposure Unit (no pun intended)

Peter Friderichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 11 22:54:23 GMT 2010

Keep in mind that this unit as pictured uses spiral compact
fluorescent lamps. These will not work nearly as well if your
chemistry uses light sensitive iron salts rather than the
dichromates. The dichromates are light sensitive over a wider range
of the spectrum. They can be exposed with blue light and are still
somewhat senstive to green. The iron salts such as ferric ammonium
citrate (oxalate) have most sensitivity in the UVA regoin

I did an experiment that confirmed this. I cut up some  blue, green,
yellow, and red lighting gels into squares and mounted them on a
transparent sheet, then I shone a slide projector at very close range
through the strip and onto a test strip of dichromate/gum, and a
second strip of ferric ammonium citrate/potassium
ferricyanide(cyanotype). The dichromate exposed considerably in blue
moderately in green and slightly in yellow none in red. The cyanoype
showed only a mild exposure under the blue square.

Peter Friedrichsen