[alt-photo] Re: Alternative Exposure Unit (no pun intended)

gumprint at gmail.com gumprint at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 05:17:45 GMT 2010

Paul,

The unit is 10.5 inches square. With the bulbs it is 8 inches high/deep. The
bulbs are arranged in an 8X8 pattern.

There are 3 ways to use it; center 4 bulbs, perimeter 12 bulbs, or all 16 on
at once connected to a graylab analog timer. I use all 16 at once.

The print is exposed 5" from the top of the bulbs. I leave it attached to
said shelf where there is another below it that the printing frame rests on.

Largest print so far is 8X10.

The unit is used with the bulbs pointing down but with the swivel in the
clamp it could be turned to any position.

I do not leave the unit on between exposures so there is no problem with
heat. This may shorten the life of the bulbs, but without it being housed in
some sort of cupboard, it too bright (equal to 1600 watts) to be around for
long.

I have not tested it with cyanotype or vandyke.

For me the speed of exposure is fantastic in such a light, portable unit.
The bulbs pack back up in the factory box and the unit isn't much larger
than a telephone book. Together they weigh around 5 pounds. You could take
it hiking :-)

Carole