[alt-photo] Re: new digital sensor

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Wed Mar 24 07:34:25 GMT 2010

From: Diana Bloomfield <dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net>
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: new digital sensor
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:35:58 -0400

> My Canon 5D works perfectly well for me, but they keep
> coming out with something newer and better, with more pixels
> and more bells and whistles-- and so-- we're either
> convinced we have to buy it (whatever it is), through clever
> marketing, or we really do have to move on, because it will
> be made difficult for us to continue with what works
> perfectly well for us, that we may already own.

If you are talking abotu 5D mkII, that isn't much better than
5D. Still poor AF performance in dim lighting. MkII has a
better sensor and LCD, but not that important for fine art
work. I think you might want to realize that majority of 5D
owners are commercial photogs and hobbists... who would
benefit from that kind of improvements. A $2400 camera with 2
year lifespan = $100/mo. Is such improvements worth $100/mo?
This is a no brainer to most commercial photogs.

But if I were to shoot street photography, or some art
project, I much prefer rangefinder of Mamiya 6 over AF of 5D
or 5DmkII.

In terms of technological advancement, the new metering sensor
in 7D is noteworthy. This camera uses a matrix of light meter
sensors that recognize color, and coupled with the AF
points. If you try that camera, you know, the exposure is
accurate enough (if used for negative films) to forget about
spot metering and manual exposure compensation! I want someone
to make a 6x6 rangefinder with that metering system!
(But of course, that won't happen.)

Let me make one prediction, after seeing a bit about
silver-based photo industry from inside. If silver based
photographic supplies become unavailable for some reason, the
main problem is the distribution system that can work
effectively for the niche market. Most big players are set up
for the market when it was big, and they are reluctant to
spend any more effort. They are just letting the inertia to
work and watching it to wear out. Small players, who started
with enthusiasm but without solid business plans nor creative
marketing ideas (how can they get smart people to work for
them if they don't generate enough profit??), aren't going to
survive much longer, because they are not generating enough
profit to survive. Familiar brands may go away, but some film
will continue to be manufacturable somewhere for a price. The
question is whether there will be a good distribution to
consolidate small markets to a sizable unit to make the
production feasible. I think one important point is whether
used equipment dealers will handle film products (doubtful),
or whether there will be a user community based mechanism to
replace existing ineffective distribution-retail
mechanisms. Let's see how it goes in the next few years.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)