[alt-photo] Re: books before 1977

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Wed Mar 24 14:06:16 GMT 2010

Alberto,

Don't get me started...if I had my druthers, I'd be in a musty library all day every day...it is like a treasure hunt.

I assume you mean in recent history, not from 1800's on?

I am including others that are around that date, too but after 1977.

Tons of stuff in journals, though.

Lots more gum-specific but I assume you are interested in all alt not just gum.

Jordan is a hoot--a book worth buying at abebooks.com.  Very irreverent writer who doesn't take himself seriously. It'd be interesting to see if he and Anderson knew each other, because they are very different people writing around the same time.

I found an excellent collection of photo books at Mertle Rare Books library in Minnesota. The other, of course, at  Eastman. I think there is also an excellent collection in TX at the Ransom Center, and there was a wonderful woman, Katherine Arens, who actually TRANSLATED some German text for me out of the goodness of her heart that Ransom would not copy nor let out of the library. That was over and above the call of duty.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of the books down on my biblio that did not include gum stuff so there are more out there I am sure.  But I found SO much info in journals while researching at George Eastman House.  For instance, here are some journals that were around that time (excuse typos--rushed list) and only include ones I haven't yet gone through.  For the gum book I have found research in 200 sources, for instance. But these are all 1800's stuff and may not pertain to your question.

photo american, photographic notes 1856, photgraphic news 1858 amer jrnl ph 1855 bulletin de la s f 55
ph journal 1853 ph times and am ph 1881, photography 1888, photo beacon 1893, camera and dkrm 1899
ph journal 1876, ph annual 1891, practical ph, photo miniature 1899, ph times 1871, ph world 1871, am photo
camera work, camera craft, camera notes 1897, am amateur ph 1809, amateur ph 1884, am annual of ph
am journal of ph 1879, liverpool ph jrnl 1854-60, jurnal of ph soc of london

One other thing--going to books.google.com you can download tons of stuff--the German Rundschau that may be up your alley.  I downloaded them all and printed out the gum stuff for translation. But again, this may not pertain to your question as I don't think the later books are out of copyright.

One thing I will say--I keep my biblio in chronological order, and there is a real...lull...in alt stuff when modernism was the rage.  I have my file folders in 5 year periods, and from let's say 1940-1980 it wasn't really popular and my files are thin or empty and then 1980 on fat.  Now THAT's a real scientific way to calculate interest....

Chris

Anderson, Paul.  Pictorial Photography, Its Principles and Practice, 2nd ed.  JB Lippincott, 1917.

Wall, E.J. Photographic Facts and Formulas.  Boston:  American Photographic Publishing Co., 1924

Jordan, Franklin.  Photographic Control Processes.  NY:  Galleon Publishers, Inc., 1937.

Henney, Keith, and Beverly Dudley.  Handbook of Phtography.  NY:  Whittlesey House, 1939.

Mack, Julian Ellis and Miles J. Martin.  The Photographic Process, 1st Ed.  NY:  McGraw Hill Book co., Inc.  1939.

Eder, J. M.  History of Photography.  NY:  Columbia University Press, 1945.

Neblette, C. B.  Photography, Its Principles and Practice, 4th Ed.  NY:  Van Nostrand Co., Inc, 1946

Creative Darkroom Techniques.  1st Ed.  Rochester:  Eastman Kodak Co., 1973.pp. 264-272

Gassan, Arnold.  Handbook of Contemporary Photography, 3rd ed.  Athens:  Handbook Co., 1974 (Lt Impressions).

Crawford, William.  Keepers of Light.  NY:  Morgan and Morgan, 1979.

Frederick, Peter.  Creative Sunprinting..Early Photographic Prinitng Processes Rediscovered.  London:  Focal Press, 1980

Howell-Koehler, Nancy.  Photo Art Processes.  Worcester, Mass:  Davis Publishing Inc., 1980.

House, Suda.  Artistic Photographic Processes.  NY:  Amphoto, 1981

Gassan, Arnold.  The Color Print Book.  Rochester:  Light Impressions, 1981

How to Make Old-Time Photos by John McDonald and Melba Smith Cole.  Blue Ridge Summit:  Tab books, 1981.  chapter on gum 184-215

Arnow, Jan.  Handbook of Alternative Photographic Processes.  NY:  Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1982

Reeve, Catharine and Marilyn Sward.  The New Photography.  NJ:  Prentice Hall, 1986.

Nettles, Bea.  Breaking the Rules.  Inky Press Productions, 3rd Ed, 1992