[alt-photo] Re: books before 1977

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Thu Mar 25 14:03:00 GMT 2010

Alberto,
There were a lot of books written with experimental darkroom techniques around that time...books I researched for my Experimental Photography Workbook, and the Creative one is of that kind.  The Kodak book Creative Darkroom Techniques, though, included gum bichromate in my 1973 edition. And silkscreen!

The latter is a book that is a reprint compendium of four older books:  one on photogravure 1927, Demachy's Photo-Aquatint, Mortimer's Oil and Bromoil Processes of 1909, and Pizzighelli and Hubl's Platinotype of 1886.

Betty Hahn was one of the first to do gum printing at Indiana University where Henry Holmes Smith was teaching. But I am not consulting my notes here, just off the top of my head, and I am sure someone will chime in with a correction. Since she graduated in 1966 she would have been doing this before that date, but she was a lone voice in the wilderness.  I saw her receive the Honored Educator award at SPE a few years back. She is one of my heroes, to be doing these processes at a time when they were not popular.

http://www.museumofnewmexico.org/mfa/ideaphotographic/artists_hahn.html

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com