[alt-photo] Re: From colour transparency to black & white separation negatives for contact printing?

Henry Rattle henry.rattle at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 31 18:21:51 GMT 2010

I've only done this once, nearly 30 years ago...

It makes sense to start from a transparency because you get negatives
directly in one step. I exposed Kodak Plus-X negatives through red, green
and blue Kodak filters (almost certainly no.29 red, no 61 green and 47B
blue). I think it was important to use panchromatic film simply because of
the exposure through the red filter which would presumably not have
registered on ortho film.

There are some very helpful notes on this in William Crawford's wonderful
"Keepers of Light" pages 230-233, including some suggestions for exposure
and development times. Let me know offline if you can't find this and I'll
copy them for you.

Best wishes

Henry