[alt-photo] Re: Don't take the brown FAC!

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Tue May 4 20:00:13 GMT 2010

Trevor,

As far as altering it to change it to the green variety, I had no
success with this by adding additional ammonia and citric acid. It
appears that above and beyond the ratios of iron, ammonia, and
citrate, the way in which it is made also affects its final
properties. I know this because I make my own green variety from scratch.

Essentially it is made by adding ammonia (or use ammonium
bicarbonate) and citric acid to iron hydroxide ( a messy red mud)  If
you add the citric acid first,  to make ferric citrate, then add
ammonium citrate to make FAC, it will make the brown variety. Now, if
you add ammonium citrate + citric acid, both together to this mud,
then the green variety forms. So it seems that as the ferric
hydroxide dissolves, it must have the ammonia component available, or
else you will just get the brown variety, and it will stay brown even
if you attempt to re-balance the ratios.

At least this is my experience.

Peter Friedrichsen