[alt-photo] Re: HYDROSCOPIC!

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 11 06:04:06 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marek Matusz" <marekmatusz at hotmail.com>
To: "alt photo"
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 6:19 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: HYDROSCOPIC!

> Bob,
>
> My two cents from the chemistry perspective are similar to
> Ryuji's. Ammonium thiocyanate is a complexing agent for
> gold. It is a common problem for gold toners to keep gold
> in solution for prolonged periods of time. ANd while the
> thiocyanate bases toners are faily stable, they will
> eventually plate the gold in the bottle loosing their
> potency. They are best used just after the addition of
> gold. Get a batch of prints and tone them all at one
> session. I kept a bottle of a thiocyanate toner for yers
> and it had a lot of gold sediment in it.
>
> You can just add more gold to replenish the toner, as all
> other reagents are in large acess.
>
> It really matters little if you add 25 or 50 grams of
> solid ammonium thiocyanate(I actually have not tried that,
> so final judgement is in the experiment), but have used
> thicyanate gold toners exstensively in my silver B&W past.
> Interestingly enough just before final collapse of B&W
> chemistry Agfa introduced a silver image stabilizer that
> was thiocyanate based, but I did not really follow that
> and I think Agfa dropped their silver B&W chemistry. So
> perhaps both components can act to stabilize silver image,
> but gold will also change the colour
>
> The toner might be sensitive to the presence of fixers, so
> an extensive wash might be necessary to prolong its life,
> maybe somebody else might comment. But if you are using it
> in a batch mode, that is add gold and tone a bunch of
> prints at one time it might not matter a lot. Let us know
> in any event.
>
> Marek
     I believe you are thinking of AGFA Sistan, it was
actually on the market for a number of years. I don't have a
bottle handy but I think it contained Potassium thiocyanate
and a wetting agent. AGFA changed their recommendations for
its use a couple of time. Too much could result in staining.
I was never able to find anything in the scienfific
literature proving its effectiveness. Fuji also sold a
non-toning stabilizer but I don't know what was in it and it
was, AFAIK, sold only in Japan. Ryuji may know more about
both of these.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA