[alt-photo] Re: Gum...again!

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Sun May 16 08:35:16 GMT 2010

Loris,

> Wow, thanks for the tip Alberto. Clearing in 1 minute? That's
> NICEEE... (Of course, it's much better not overexpose, therefore, not
> have to use a clearing bath...)

it is really a long time I don't make a gum bichromate, so I gave those
amounts by memory.
Seaching the list archives I have found what I wrote on 04/09/02:
"I have used in the past pot. bisulphite 5%, or sulphuric acid 1%, or
sulphuric acid 0,5%+sodium sulphite 0,5% (this last clears in a few
seconds), but if the stain is really heavy the chemical methods leave a
greenish or bluish tone.
So I prefer plain water and, if it reveals to be not sufficient, only at
that poin I use the chemicals (the third one)."

Resuming:
1) prepare a stock solution of 5% w/v sulphuric acid (26 cc/L of 98%
sulphuric acid) or a solution of equivalent strength, for example 31 cc/L of
37% hydrochloric acid. EVER add te acid to the water and not the contrary!
2) prepare a solution of 5 g/L of sodium sulphite
3) mix an equal amount of stock acid solution diluted 1+9
This mixed solution will smell of sulphur dioxide; if it bothers you, cover
the tray with a transparent sheet (glass, plastic) or an other tray.
4) rinse well the paper with tap water and give a last bath of water with a
pinch of sodium bicarbonate in order to neutralize the excess of acid that
may be still in the paper.

As you wrote, it is better to not overexpose. I was used to see some stain
after three or four layers, and in this case an overnight soak in still
water was able to eliminate almost all. I made the sulphite+acid teatment at
the end of many (6-10) gum layers.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art102.html