[alt-photo] Re: tintype

C.Breukel at lumc.nl C.Breukel at lumc.nl
Wed Nov 3 09:44:25 GMT 2010

Potassium Cyanide is absolutely NOT needed for producing Tintypes, "ordinairy" rapid fix or plain hypo work equally well but have different properties. It might be that in the reenactment scene KCN is the only accepted fixer.

The differences between said fixers it mainly the resulting image colour, the KCN fixer being the warmest (café-au-lait), KCN gives somewhat more punch, deeper blacks, also because it will bleach a silver image (leaving a plate in KCN will eventually completely bleached away). KCN fixes very fast, has a high capacity and is said to wash out very fast (have yet to see a real proof of that often mentioned fact).

OTOH KCN is a deadly toxic compound and in contact with acid it will produce HCN gas which will kill easily..so it is up to each user to decide on the pro's and con's

On the Rockland kit: as mentioned before it is a bit of a misnomer, and thusfar I have read mainly bad things about it..sorry..

Best,

Cor