[alt-photo] Re: tintype

Vedos vedos at samk.fi
Sat Nov 6 20:29:44 GMT 2010

How will it be known if the cyanide did the job then, until we are long dead? Actually, with cyanide we can easily be soon dead! We do wpc with students, but never think of using potassium cyanide in these conditions!

The fixing has been done both with cyanide and hypo from the beginning... here's what John Towler recommends in his "Silver Sunbeam", from 1864, chapter 17:

"Cyanide of potassium is not only a solvent of the silver salts above mentioned, but also a reducing agent; it thus produces in the ambrotype and the melainotype a whiteness in the silver film which can not be effected with hyposulphite of silver. For this reason it is regarded by many photographers as the fixing agent peculiarly adapted for collodion positives by reflected light; whereas in the negative, where the whiteness of the silver film is of little or no consequence, hyposulphite of soda is regarded as the proper fixer. Many photographers disregard these refined distinctions, and use, in consequence of the superior solvent properties of cyanide of potassium, this substance as a fixing agent indifferently for negatives and positives. But because cyanide of potassium dissolves the silver salts so easily, it has to be used in a dilute condition, and to be watched very closely, otherwise it will dissolve at the same time the fine parts of the image."

Best regards,
Jalo

-- If you only look at what is, you might never attain what could be --

V E D O S
Alternative Photographic Processes
Satakunta University of Applied Sciences
vedos at samk.fi
http://vedos.samk.fi
http://www.samk.fi