[alt-photo] Re: a large-format horizontal enlarger with tilt shift mechanism?

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon Nov 29 22:12:01 GMT 2010

From: Greg Schmitz <coldbay1 at gmail.com>
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: a large-format horizontal enlarger with tilt shift mechanism?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:49:13 -0900

> There is also the Procabin 67 projector - which has a good
> reputation, if format is not an issue for you.

Since I'd be projecting an inkjet digital positive, it's
probably better to start with a larger size.

> Are you trying to make prints on a photosensitive material
> or display what you already have - not sure since you
> referred to a "projector?"

Neither.

I'm projecting an image on rear projection screen, and have
some foreground subject (still life or live model or what not)
lit by studio flash system, and photograph a new image. This
technique used to be common in movies (using continuous light
source) but much of it got replaced by digital editing process
nowadays. Sure, Photoshop CS5 has a new feature called "refine
edge" and it's easier to cut out a picture and place it on
another layer of background image, but I'd rather prefer to do
this in actual physical space like the old days.

If alt process means doing something in ways other than
the mainstream methodology, I think this sure qualifies...

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)