[alt-photo] Keith Gerling show at the Hinsdale Center for the Arts

Earl and Patty Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 17 16:38:25 GMT 2010

I just got back from my speed run to Chicago. Keith's show is a major achievement. There are 70 gum prints on the wall, the smallest of which is 16x20. Every print portrays one or more members of the Salt Creek Ballet company, of which Keith's children are both members. Keith prints directly onto plywood panels in a very free and painterly manner. The images are hanging unframed, which enhances the look of paintings. As a matter of fact, most of the people attending the show referred to the images as paintings. Many of the subjects of the portraits attended the opening, and I was privileged to photograph many of them standing beside Keith's representation of them in gum. It was an amazing gathering of beautiful young women and beautiful portraits done by a master gum printer.

Thank you, Keith, for your hospitality. Chicago is not so far away that we can't get together again some time soon.

Earl Johnson
back in Minnesota