[alt-photo] Re: Copy film (Kodak 4125)

Kevin Morris kmorris at stouffer.net
Thu Oct 28 12:51:31 GMT 2010

Okay, first off, sorry for the empty reply. I’m using a laptop for the first
time and am still getting used to it. I keep touching the mouse pad while I
type and depending on where the mouse happens to be I'll send the email
before I've typed.

Anyway, I have tried the Adox Copy. It is useable for small jobs. However,
it isn't consistent enough from batch to batch. The problem we run into with
most of the film we have tested is that once we test a small amount (usually
100 sheets or so) and decide to give it a wider testing the next batch of
film that comes in isn't anywhere near what the the last batch was like.
There have been coating problems, different base color and density curves
that are nowhere close to previous curves.

I won't go into a lot of how we make the 21 step, among others, but I can
say what we use. We use approximately 10,000 sheets of IOP a year along with
several 100 sheets of NDT X-Ray film of various sizes. All the film is
exposed with incandescent light. Depending on the job 1 to 3 different
wattage bulbs are used with or without neutral density. We have two dip and
dunk processors used in production. One has a batch size of 12 8x10's (with
8 gallon tanks) and the other can run 40 sheets (30 gallon tanks).  Ilford
Phenisol is the developer we use. It may not work for others but is is a
good, all-round developer for all the film we run.