[alt-photo] Re: no shrink, no size tricolor gums

Trevor Cunningham trevor at chalkjockeys.com
Tue Sep 14 08:36:10 GMT 2010

  Hey Charles, I'm in a similar pickle. I can imagine shrinkage has a
lot to do with climate. Here in the Arabian desert, I'm also going
through some tri-color gum trials too. I did a preshrink and am very
glad I did. My first attempts were using rabbit skin glue as a size. Now
I've moved to cyanotype as the first layer, followed by an unhardened
gelatin size and the subsequent layers. I had whittled my exposure down
to one minute in the blazing sun, but fear this is too little as I've
lost dmax and/or the emulsion just slides right off in patches. And,
actually, I'm losing emulsion in the border areas where it should be
getting nice and  toasty burnt. I wonder is:

   1. Should I be a little more aggressive and try to brush off the
      residue and live with the dmax and recoat that color?
   2. Should I increase the exposure? I've exposed another print at two
      minutes, so we'll see how that goes, or should I expect more of
      the same?
   3. I'm mixing my gum 1 part gum to 6 parts water and the AD is
      roughly 1:3. I use these solutions at 1:1. I wonder if increasing
      my dichromate might also do the trick?