[alt-photo] Re: casein image

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Mon Apr 4 09:02:43 GMT 2011

Christina,

> I was following Franklin Enos' formula,as much as I can deduce from his notes.

There are three identical articles from Enos/Theisen notes:
http://www.etheisen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9
http://glsmyth.com/AltProcess/Articles/Casein/Casein.htm
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Casein/casein.html

These notes explain how to prepare casein solution by adding ammonia to
powdered milk curdled with acetic acid, and not straight from ammonium
caseinate.

>... Lukas Werth uses an 8%, even thinner. It is difficult to deduce percent solutions from the old recipes because they would pour ammonia into milk or whatnot and then extract the whey, so who knows how much the whey weighed.

Lukas Werth's website www.lukaswerth.de is not online anymore, nor I have
now at hand PF #6", but my notes say 0.8 g of dry casein plus 10 cc of 9.5%
ammonia. This is indeed about 8% or something less, if you take into account
the volume of the casein. But this is not thinner than Enos/Thiesen formula.
I tried to measure the yield from (my) powdered milk: it was 23% of dry
casein. In addition, the apparent density of (my) powdered milk was 0.29
kg/dm3. So, to find the amount of dry pure casein used by those recipes that
start from powdered milk, you have to multiply the volume (in metric units)
by 0.29 and then by 0.23.
This said, Enos/Franklin formula uses 1/4 cup (that is 2 fl.oz = 58 cc) of
powdered milk, and to the curdle you have to add 75 cc of ammonia.
This means 58*.29*.23= 3.87 g of dry casein = less than 5% depending on how
much water is in the curdle. And how much ammonia is in the supermarket
bottle? 5%? 1%? In mine  it is written "not more than 9.5%". BTW, as a
matter of fact, also pure water contains not more than 9.5% of ammonia!

> The interesting thing is there is a difference in pH between sodium and ammonium caseinate: sodium is 6.6-7.2, ammonium 5.7-6.7.

It is not surprising, because at first it depends on the strength of the
bases (NaOH or NH4OH) bonded to the casein. Then it depends on how much
sodium hydroxide or borax has been used to dissolve the casein.

> Alberto, if you would like me to bring you some ammonium caseinate when I come to Italy, I can.

I am (was) happy with my casein+ammonia solution, but I am ever curious so I
will give it a try. In return, If you wish and we will have time, I may show
you how to prepare a casein solution ready for use in about 15 minutes.

> I traveled with some casein powder already and no questions were asked, but my friend's husband's casein/whey protein powder for drinking was confiscated so you never know. I thought since it was in a baggie they might think it was cocaine.

In 1990, I travelled Austrian/Switzerland/Italian borders with a fridge full
of snow samples gathered for a study on Alpine pollution, and I had to
declare that I was carrying "snow"... :-)

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group