[alt-photo] Re: casein image

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Mon Apr 4 13:42:55 GMT 2011

Dear Peter and Alberto,

You both are such GEMS.
Have to grade and then go to school so cannot add my 2 cents on all this. Will digest and respond when I get home.

The notes I am using on Enos' process were from the last years of his casein experimentation, where he used the powdered form.

I wish Lucas were on the list still so he can chime in but my notes on PF6 are thus:

Lukas Werth, Casein Printing PF pp. 16-18, 22 #6

He uses 0.8g casein powder sprinkled over 10cc ammonia

Before coating he uses 30 drops casein solution in 2cc water to size the paper.

Coat is about 30-32 drops casein to pigment half a pea to 2cc 7.5-10% pot di.

He exposes his 1.8dr negs 20mn, 10mn, 5mn for each successive layer with 20w UVBL 1 inch from image.

I worked with casein all day yesterday. Found my generic gum curve is unsuitable for casein and have had to go back and revisit the curve process and thus the examples, below, are first trials, please be kind :)

I posted my first casein tricolor here:
http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Portfolio.cfm?nK=11961
I posted two more images for illustration on casein here:
http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=2076

After a weekend of casein I am understanding it better, much much better, but only a BEGINNING. My reason for jumping into this with both feet is that my students are intrigued and they want to do it in lab on (gasp) this Wednesday. Trial by fire here. Nothing like teaching on the fly. But I told them they are my guinea pigs to test with me and I know nothing about the process.

Curve is different.
Exposure is almost really only 25% of gum, for sure half gum.
Colloid behaves differently.
Development is way different than gum. "Hardy" is not the word!
Printed it on Yupo and old Kwik Print paper but layers are able to rub off with a finger. May be the pigment I am using, have not tried it with a vat pigment yet.
Look (for me) is different. No gloss. Sort of if one were to use gouache. But that is because I am not using any gum arabic in my mix, e.g. the gum arabic that comes in the watercolor pigment tubes itself, but using either powdered pigments (of which casein carries a HUGE pigment load) or pigments not using gum as a binder. I wanted to make sure not to confuse the issue with gum arabic. But perhaps with lots of layers it may gloss up. The prints I have on the web are only 3 layers.
Thus I have had to really separate it from my gum process instead of looking at it as another colloid to be used IN the gum process.
Consider all the notes, above (except Lucas') with a big grain of salt as I am sure it will change weekly, and Peter Blackburn can chime in here with his experiences using homemade (from cheese) casein which may be completely different as I am only using purchased dry or liquid casein.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com