[alt-photo] Re: casein image

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 5 02:40:17 GMT 2011

Alberto,

I make up my casein emulsion to be about 10% by weight of casein in
water. I originally alkalized it with household ammonia but later
switched to using a "pinch" of sodium bicarbonate in a 10% emulsion
of about 120 ml total vol. I then dilute the 10% casein with an equal
portion of dichromate as 10% potassium dichromate solution, so the
final casein is 5%. The pigment load is judged by tint strength when
brushed onto a white enameled surface as I do not have a milligram
scale which would be a requirement for the 4 or 5 ml volumes that I
mix up since I use dry pigments. I occasionally vary the dilution of
casein and find that the tonal scale expands upon dilution but at the
expense of image density.

Peter Friedrichsen