[alt-photo] Re: Ammonium Caseinate vs. Sodium Caseinate

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Sat Apr 16 02:07:54 GMT 2011

Don
Can't wait until you test casein. Let us know your a) speed and b) whether you find it shorter in scale than gum.
1.14.81 is the date.
Enos died in 83, so hence the 80s date.
He dated every recipe and experiment...
From what I remember, ammonia was used in gum printing to slow down the process, not speed it up in what I have read (lemon juice added speed which I think was just what Marek said in that it is a dichromate reducer or whatever the term was). I think casein is faster for different reasons, not least of which is the thinness of the layer
In fact, in some recipes as long as a dichromated colloid is full of ammonia and stlll in liquid state it is hardly sensitive but once it is coated on paper, the ammonia evaporates, it becomes sensitive. Or so I've read. This was also the basis of Kwik Print and perhaps the Selectacolor presensitized liquid coating.
Chris
Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com