[alt-photo] Re: casein

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Thu Apr 28 10:25:32 GMT 2011

Don,

> My first home made solution of casein still reeks of ammonia. Does anyone
> know if that is normal? To make the solution I used common household ammonia
> - 3%. Should I order some Ammonia hydroxide from the Formulary? I have a
> lifetime supply of sodium hydroxide, would be best if I could get that to
> work since the am. Hydroxide has serious hazmat fees to ship.
>
> After leaving the jar of liquid casein uncapped for a couple of days, I came
> down to my darkroom to discover ants floating around in the solution. Seeing
> that, I recapped the solution and left it sitting on the counter. This batch
> was mixed on April 14th. There it still sits.

Are you trying to let the ammonia evaporate from the solution, probably
because you dislike its smell?
It will take more time than it is required by the alkalinity of the solution
to break the casein molecula. I prefer to use it in a few days from the
preparation, or to keep it -tightly capped- in the refrigerator.
If you wish to prepare sodium caseinate, then use:
casein powder 6g
water 50 cc
sodium hydroxide 1.7% 10 cc
Heat with stirring at 70-80°C for 15-30 in a water bath, then cool.

> Is there any pointing in considering Calcium caseinate?

Why to complicate your life if ammonium and sodium are enough? :-)

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group