[alt-photo] Re: The Athenatype -- the silver sister of the Ziatype

Richard Sullivan richsul at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 16:37:01 GMT 2011

We have not gotten that far on humidity nor with toners. Toners is a career
in itself. We think, like in the albumen or Gelatin POP processes, that
toning is necessary. Any metallic silver print is naked to the elements. I
have some Kallitypes done in the mid to late 60's I did not tone them and
they are now fading as well as browning. I suspect I did not clear them well
either. that was almost 50 years ago and there was not much information
other than a few old books. Luckily I had the Research Library at UCLA for
help. In the late 80's they moved everything into Special Collections so you
could not browse them. Bummer.

However, what happens in terms of tones with humidly may be countered by the
toning so you have two variables to deal with. Also what I have observed
with the silica appears to be a consistent tonality. Silica is a humectant
as is AFO so we have the two in consort.

--D