[alt-photo] Re: bottom-weighting mats

David Ashcraft davidashcraft at sti.net
Thu Dec 1 05:34:46 GMT 2011

I always do, I simply place the print on the board and move it where
it looks most pleasing to my eye.  This is usually around three
quarters to one inch or more on the bottom.  Some photographs just
look better a little higher up and others not so high.

If a generously sized matt is used the optical illusion of the equal
top and bottom having the appearance of the bottom being smaller
becomes less.  The smaller the matt used the greater the illusion.
And this isn't the same for everybody, some are more prone to the
illusion than others.

Contemporary aesthetics... never mind.