[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:52:48 GMT 2011

Hello Don:

The first two paragraphs reproduced here is "spot on" in my opinion:

"The staining attributes of pigments are probably the most difficult to determine "objectively." The manufacturer of the pigment powder, the milling of the pigment, the vehicle formulation used by the paint manufacturer can all affect the staining power of a paint.

Worse, staining usually means the staining effects on watercolor paper, but variations in paper furnish, finish, weight and sizing also affect significantly how deeply a paint penetrates the paper and how difficult it is to remove through sponging or scraping."

Now, as for the list he provides, of the pigments I use for my tricolor work (my "A-List" as I refer to it) none of them are on his list. The caveat is that I am working with a specific paper—Artistico. I have had success, however, with the yellows and blues he mentions, but those are not on my A list. Others might find them very useful.

I hope that helps, Don!

Peter J. Blackburn