[alt-photo] Re: Substitute for citric acid

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 22 05:46:14 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevor Cunningham" <trevor at chalkjockeys.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:28 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] Substitute for citric acid

> Looking into Kallitype. A clearing agent calls for a 3%
> citric acid solution. Is acetic too weak/strong for a
> substitute? Recommendations? My local chem supplier is out
> of citric acid.

     Citric acid is a sequestering agent for certain metals.
Acetic acid will not substitute for it because it will not
hold those metals in suspension. Nearly all citrus fruit has
a substantial amount of citric acid in it (hense the name).
A good substitute is lemon juice but I am not sure how much
citric is in it. Its possible a google search would find out
and also find if there is anything else in it that is
undesirable for photographic purposes. Citric is used in
cooking, particularly in preserving so check at places that
sell home canning and preserving supplies, they will often
have citric.