[alt-photo] Steichen book on color

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Dec 23 15:19:15 GMT 2011

Dear All,
Saw at Barnes and Noble a Steichen book on his color photography. Very well printed but not huge amounts of color work inside. A George Eastman House publication, so maybe when I go there next summer I can ask about the book as follows: However, a number of his ferro-prussiate/pt/pd prints are reproduced which is worth buying the book or at least going to B&N and looking through it. There are also a couple processes in there that are intriguing: one called...was it...Hilchro process (??) and another print or two was labeled "unknown color process." Very interesting stuff and worth a browse. I would imagine that the "unknown color process" might be able to be identified by Dusan! Maybe it's a Fresson :)  I say that in jest because I have made it through 1994-2000 of the alt list archives and TONS of stuff on Fresson with absolutely no one coming to any conclusions except Art Chakalis who concluded it was a mixture of gum and gelatin and the coating machine probably had a lot to do with it.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com