[alt-photo] THE List

Ken Sinclair photo1 at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 30 20:08:09 GMT 2011

Hi All...

I have been receiving the postings for a number of years... and feel
I have
greatly benefited from the generosity and experience of the membership
over that period of time.

Being somewhat mostly retired after a 30+ year hiatus as a Technical/
Scientific/Biological photographer I am working my way through my BFA
degree (only 3 more courses to go).

A few years ago I had to reconstruct my personal darkroom in my
basement (after a move), since the Department would not and will
still not allow me to prepare any of the 'chemistry' for preparing or
processing non-silver prints... due, I believe, to the cost to the
department for removal of what can be considered hazardous materials
and the added hazard of the possibilty of inexperienced fellow
students poking their 'fingers' into the various chemical containers
out of curiosity.

I have 'hung' a number of prints (cyanotypes, VDBs, Salt prints etc.)
for
Studio class critique and grading and have been met with 'blank
stares' from fellow class mates.... some questions as the "how" but
mostly because
of the "Why?" It has been obvious that students have never been
exposed to the alternative photographic processes and their
importance in the history of photography as we know it to-day.

Locally, IMHO, the craft required to 'support' the art has been
superseded by the required allegory/metaphor /meaning behind the
majority of images that
students are presenting. I am, however, after meeting the needs of
clients for so many years, now presenting works that are for 'me'.

Ken

Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)