[alt-photo] Re: Photo opaque Paint

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon Feb 7 20:40:29 GMT 2011

I think the first question to ask is: do you really need
"paint" for this?

Black ink for drawing pens are quite opaque in very broad
range of light. Those inks usually require technical pens with
appropriate ink feeder, but those are worth keeping handy, for
example writing notes/signing on prints, etc.

If you really need a paint, I think Rosco paint is probably
the best place to look. If they don't know the UV
absorbance/reflectance/transmission of their paints, I don't
know who else will.... (and this is where Richard Knoppow will
prove me wrong.) They may not publish such data but I find it
relatively easy to speak to someone who knows stuff at Rosco.

Incidentally, I had all surfaces of my photo studio walls
painted with Rosco Off-Broadway "White White" paint. When I
shine the wall with 5500K light, the reflected light is about
5150K, which is close enough to the color temp from most soft
boxes. So I have a huge and very flexible built-in light
modifier.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)