[alt-photo] Re: pigment problem

Julian Smart juliansmart at virginmedia.com
Tue Feb 8 00:10:26 GMT 2011

Hi Katherine, thanks for the reply.

I had sort of come to the conclusion that it may be a sizing issue. Trouble
is I have no  precedent for my problem in that I have only just started to
use this paint and have just recently modified my sizing technique. I now
size with a hardened gelatine, that is I add 2 drops of formaldehyde to a
100ml of gelatine just prior to brush coating the size. I really wouldn't
have thought that this would be a problem, or cause problems with different
pigments, though I have noticed that the gelatine has hardened enough by the
time I am sizing my fourth sheet to not allow a decently smooth coat.

Tomorrow I will try a different pigment, probably the Indanthrone you
suggest and see how it goes.

Julian.