[alt-photo] argyrotype and paper

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Thu Feb 10 16:47:01 GMT 2011

Dear All,

I'm in the argyrotype unit in class right now. Papers that used to be beautiful a number of years back are no longer, but print grey and yukky. Weston paper is great, as usual, but those that prefer a white background are SOL on that paper. That paper is also excellent for cyanotype. Bienfang vellum is good. But Rives BFK and now Stonehenge vellum (surface) are really poor. Anyone have any luck with these two papers by acidifying first? Any paper recommendations? I'm sad that Rives has changed because it used to print so wonderfully bittersweet chocolatey brown.

I've got Crane's Cover and Arches Platine here to sell to the students but honestly, convincing them to pay $8 or $9 for one sheet of paper (Platine) is a bit difficult.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com