[alt-photo] Re: Are we still a list?

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Thu Jul 21 17:28:25 GMT 2011

WOW people are posting!!!!

I still teach reticulation in the wet darkroom. However, as Don says, new films for the last five years have been super-hardened and hence are resistant to reticulation.

The films that work best are TriX and other old emulsion films.

Forget Tmax. I have BOILED it and it hasn't worked.

The usual process I have recommended lately is a regular development, then use alternate ice cold and extremely hot water rinses for the "stop" (that'll work fine, no need to heat up the stinky stop bath). Then fix and all else as normal. I also do the sodium carbonate method, but even that hot and poured on film has not reticulated some films, where it used to melt the emulsion off of TriX immediately.

There are two ways to look at it: if you want reticulation which is a very regulated, regular brain-coral pattern, the old way is best. Another method, though, if you don't need the regular pattern effect, is to use a very weakened mordancage solution and that'll definitely budge the gelatin emulsion in a very irregular and intriguing way. Check my formula on Unblinkingeye and weaken it by wayyyyy much.  I would share a formula with you but it is not with me (I am in another state).

I am currently working on a complete revision of the Experimental Workbook, hopefully to be done by December, a very necessary revision as so many things have changed in the few short years since I wrote it (least of which is my learning InDesign and page layout and typeface), such as exactly this--reticulation, and the super-hardened films. Also infrared film, polaroid, papers, the wet color darkroom, etc.etc.etc. Very distressing, but hey, I'm going to still resist incorporating digital processes into the workbook, and I'm adding lots of new research. I have decided to incorporate hundreds of student works throughout the book and get it professionally published because that has always been a criticism--enough examples of processes are lacking. So, Francis, if you get the old method of reticulation to work, send me some jpgs.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com

>>> blog<http://francisschanberger.wordpress.com>,