[alt-photo] Re: Anthotype show in Washington DC 1990's

Suzanne Izzo bi3 at georgetown.edu
Sat Jul 30 15:27:13 GMT 2011

Carole--

I don't miss many exhibits (especially of photography) in DC, and I
don't remember one on anthotypes.  They would be difficult to have on
exhibit since presumably one would want to keep them covered most of the
time.

I also can't see calling anthotypes "the first color photograph".  All
the ones I have ever seen are monochromatic albeit not black and white.
  Usually "color photograph" means containing all the colors in the
scene.  We don't call cyanotypes a color photograph even though they are
blue.

Are you sure the exhibit wasn't of autochromes which could be called
"the first color photograph" although there were a few experiments prior
to the Lumiere brothers producing a commercial product.  I saw an
exhibit of autochromes probably around 10 years ago, but it was at Univ
of Md - Baltimore.  The Library of Congress has the glass plate
autochromes by Prokudin-Gorskii of Russian scenes from 1910-1915.

Sorry I can't help you with a catalogue or book either.  I've only seen
one or two examples given in more general books.

Suzanne