[alt-photo] Re: new website and show

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 12 18:50:35 GMT 2011

Hmm, I know this discussion has made the rounds before, but in my view, a
neg scan tells me nothing about a person's ability in a particular process,
whether the print has good contrast, good or pleasing color, or any of the
myriad variables of a particular process. It DOES convey to me the image
itself, which is (or should be) the ultimate thing...but I stand by my
views. The web will always be a step or two removed from the real thing, but
we've learned how to deal with that and know the restrictions, that's a
given. I think that a good platinum print can still convey it's special-ness
even with these caveats...the artwork itself is the endpoint, not any of the
steps leading to it.