[alt-photo] Re: Gesso Size for Gum Printing

Laura Chenault lauraechenault at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 16:32:07 GMT 2011

Hello Group...

Sorry I'm still figuring out how to make a message show up properly and end
up using the straight "reply"..

Jeremy asked "Laura, what brand gesso, what color (i'm assuming white), and
is this the
ONLY size used?"

I sent an e-mail to my friend and what follows is her very complete reply:

I think the key to using Gesso is that.... it needs to be diluted like I do
it with 2 parts water, because then it actually soaks into the fibers as
opposed to laying on the surface. I use white, as I like to print on white
paper. I mostly use Liquitex, but I think any acrylic gesso would work.

I also shrink my paper first. Let it sit in really hot water for about 15
min. and then hang up to dry. This helps with registration. Then I mark the
back side of the paper, and put about 2 coats on each side, letting it dry
completely in between coats. When I do this part I just let it lie flat
instead of hanging, so the gesso soaks in evenly. (I use a foam brush)

Once I tried clear gesso on white paper, and it gave a different effect, it
was a cyanotype, and the image was sort of greyed out, but with highlights
still white....was kind of nice effect, but I need to try it again, maybe on
a cream colored paper.

I would like to emphasize gum is not my thing... more of a cyanotype,
acrylic lift kind of girl...

Oh & thanks for the walk down memory lane with KwikPrint ... I was just
trying to remember that name this week. That was some fun stuff!

Laura Chenault
415.430.5748