[alt-photo] Re: bottom-weighting mats

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:11:01 GMT 2011

I think the best advise you can deduct from all of our responses is to
trust what your eye tells you. Go look at work at the local museum and
galleries. Look at photography and focus on photography that has similar
qualities as your work and pay attention to it's presentation. Your eye
will tell you what you like. Mimic that and you'll soon come to a personal
preference as to how you want to present your work. There are so many
factors to influence you i.e. tradition, buying pre-cut vs hand cutting, to
matte or not to matte, etc. You'll have to make those decisions yourself.
I'm a bit of a traditionalist in how I feel photogrpahy should be presented
so I'm influenced by that. I cut my own mattes so the time that takes and
the effort is outweighed by my ability to cut what I feel is the perfect
matte for any given print. I don't like unmatted photography so I don't
even think about that. I also am not a follower of today's tendency toward
giant prints so that isn't an issue for me. In the end, what matters is how
I feel the print looks on the wall which is influenced by all of what I
just mentioned. What you decide to do will be based on many observations
and decisions.

-Francesco