[alt-photo] Re: halo chrome

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Sun Oct 2 22:14:01 GMT 2011

This is going to be a quick--pull it out my X#$ answer, no time to spell check:

the reason for the silver plating was explained by Jolly, and it is as good as I got. A couple of us are currently working out a number of ways of this process. FSA plating via Judy, Silver Mirror Printing via Jolly, chromoskedasic, Halochrome, Specular Silver via Judy, and how to get gold colored plating.

“The fogging developer contains thiocyanate, which dissolves the silver halide by complexation. The complexed silver ion then undergoes so-called ‘physical development’ on the emulsion base, much as silver is plated out on a glass surface in the traditional chemical method of making silver mirrors. The rate of silver deposition is enhanced by making the second developer highly alkaline with potassium hydroxide (Silver Mirror Printing p.35).”

Alberto Novo from Italy has been very instrumental and had shared a while back that it is similar to plating glass to make a mirror. He also shared the one unique tip--it requires a warm temp. AHA. So when I have students or people who ask why chromo isn't working I tell them to use warm water and voila, thanks to Alberto.

This is why this list is so wonderful, because it's the SYNTHESIZING of info that is impt.

I just taught chromo/silver mirror printing a week or so ago, and the absolute BESTEST paper is Arista.edu from Freestyle. But I even had a student get Ilford MGIV to work well, and Ilford Warmtone is another. But the entire class of 18 got gorgeous chromos right out of the gate.

Oh, it's all the same, Anne, this chromo, silver mirror printing, halochrome, etc....some done on fresh prints, some on previously developed and fixed ones. the latter silvers the blacks, the former the whites.

I will have a chapter on this in the Exp Wkbk revision, too. Which is why I am so frikkin' rushed like now, spending 30hr a weekend revising on top of my day job and trying to figure out how to cut 332 pages down to 288 or 312, with the goal of pub in Jan. :)

But Anne, do your searching for your thesis on William Jolly or anything having to do with making mirrors or Dominic Man Kit Lam. Mie effect.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com