[alt-photo] Multi-Neg Printing Methods

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 04:13:52 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I'm doing a bit more research into multiple negative printing. I've been
printing from multiple negatives for a long time using a technique that just
kind of developed on its own for me after doing lots of research and
emulating techniques that I knew would bring some element that I was after
to my work. I'm trying to expand upon this and I'm hoping that some of you
might be able to offer some insight as you have in the past.

I've been looking quite intently into some of the techniques used by Irving
Penn and recently its been recommended that I look into the printing of
Salto in Belgium. The key element that I'm interest in is the use of
multiple negatives for printing highlight, mid-tones, and shadows. Penn made
multiple negatives in the darkroom and printed them in register and was able
to achieve his unbelievable platinum prints (he took some of his techniques
to the grave with him as well). I have not had the opportunity to see any of
Salto's prints in person but according to some mutual friends he scans an
original negative and uses an imagesetter to produce 5 negatives for
printing highlight, mids, and shadows. From what I've been told, his
platinum prints are wonderful. My issue is that I haven't yet been able to
wrap my head around how this type of printing actually takes place. I've
used registration printing in my work for some time but I haven't done much
with printing multiple negs in order to print in highlight, midtones, and
shadows separate from one another. Im hoping that someone can offer insight
into the process. How are the negatives actually printed together in these
cases? Logically, one is printed and then replaced by the next in register
which is replaced by the next in register and so on. My question then
becomes, how is exposure determined for each negative? I'm having a hard
time understanding how the multiple printings will work without overprinting
what was produced by the previous negative printing. If someone could shed
some light on this I would really appreciate it. I feel like there is
something very simple that I'm overlooking which will bring it all into
view.

Thank you in advance!

-Francesco