[alt-photo] Re: Multi-Neg Printing Methods

Tomas Sobota tom at sobota.net
Sat Oct 29 15:14:19 GMT 2011

Hi Francesco

Nice to meet you here. If you remember, we had some interchange about
that Cuban street photographer on your website, some months ago.

I was about to answer some of your questions when I read the post
pointed to by Denny, with which I mostly agree, so it saved me a lot
of writing :-)

In short: with a fully digital workflow you probably don't need
several negatives. You can apply a HDR processing to your original
image to maximize the range of information, and then you adjust your
negative to your process using one of the well-known techniques, such
as Burkholder, Mark Nelson's PDN, QTR and so on. One exposure under
this negative should be enough, but if you want extra contrast you can
always recoat and expose again under the same neg.

I'm naturally speaking of monochrome work. With color you will usually
need separation negs for three or four color work, but that is another
history and not every process can be used for color work. Pt/Pd
certainly not.

Also, as a special case, gum dichromate will usually require two or
more coats/exposures to get a reasonable color density, even in
monochrome. But then the usual procedure is to use the same negative.
Varying pigment density, time of exposure and dichromate concentration
you can control in which zones the pigment will be deposited.

About your worry on overprinting. Well, at least with gum, the coats
are transparent to a certain degree, which varies with coat strength
and the pigment used. So, a new coat never covers fully all of the
previous ones. That is actually the reason why you can get an ample
range of colours using only the three substractive primaries.

The same would happen with the mixed processes: gum on cyanotype and
so on. Some degree of transparency is required in the uppermost coats.

Tom