[alt-photo] Re: Multi-Neg Printing Methods

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 06:32:23 GMT 2011

What I think I've stumbled upon is that Salto makes his negatives by
separating channels rather then making negatives actually exposed for
shadow, midtones, and highlights as I had assumed. It is these separations
that are made into negatives and then printed which also removes the issue
of the over printing in the mids and shadows. I don't believe Salto uses
masks (that was my assumption at first) and the channel separation
technique answers why he doesn't need to use masks. Also, this brings some
light to other information that I've come across in the past regarding how
Penn made many of his negatives. From my understanding part of his
technique was to use filters to create a similar kind of channel
separations which also accounts for the fact that he didn't use masks
either. I think the key is working with the channels in negative form which
will behave very differently in printing then negatives exposed for the 3
primary tonal areas.

Thank you for your help and for thinking through this with me. Hopefully
this may develop into something that I can use in my printing.

-Francesco