[alt-photo] Re: Multi-Neg Printing Methods

Greg Schmitz coldbay1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 21:59:07 GMT 2011

On 10/28/11 8:13 PM, Francesco Fragomeni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing a bit more research into multiple negative printing. I've been
> printing from multiple negatives for a long time using a technique that just
> kind of developed on its own for me after doing lots of research and
> emulating techniques that I knew would bring some element that I was after
> to my work. I'm trying to expand upon this and I'm hoping that some of you
> might be able to offer some insight as you have in the past.

This series of articles might be helpful.  They used to be available as
PDFs online, but I have not been able to find them anywhere:

Jilg, Mark and Dennis McNutt. "Masking Black-and-White Negatives;
     Part I: Three Contrast Reducing Masks." Darkroom & Creative Camera
     Techniques. Jul/Aug 1989, pgs 25-29.

Jilg, Mark and Dennis McNutt. "Masking Black-and-White Negatives;
     Part II: Improving Shadow Contrast." Darkroom & Creative Camera
     Techniques. Sept/Oct 1989, pgs 44-47 cont. on pg. 65.

Jilg, Mark and Dennis McNutt. "Masking Black-and-White Negatives;
     Part III: The Highlight Mask." Darkroom & Creative Camera
     Techniques. Nov/Dec 1989, pgs. 56-60.

--greg