[alt-photo] Re: Recommendations for Replacement Printer? Input Needed!

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:24:25 GMT 2011

One more question about the 3800 vs the 3880. Do you 3800 and 3880 users
find that one ink clogs more then the others? I've heard that one of Epson's
primary reasons for changing to the Vivid Magenta in the 3880 was because
there was some issue with the Magenta ink causing clogs in the 3800. Has
anyone found this to be true? I've also heard the now the Cyan ink causes
something similar in the 3880, do any 3880 users find this to be true?

Thanks!
-Francesco

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Francesco Fragomeni <fdfragomeni at gmail.com
> [...]

>>> called
>>> Epson support. He asked me to do a bunch of stuff with it, while he
>>> stayed on
>>> the phone-- and, in the end, he suggested it was "probably DOA" (which I
>>> told
>>> him from the get-go).  He suggested I simply return it, and order a new
>>> one.  So
>>> I returned it, but I didn't order another.
>>>
>>> Both the guy at Epson (and at the local repair shop) suggested that if I
>>> liked
>>> the 3800 (which I do), that I should buy a refurbished one.  They each,
>>> independently, said that that's all they ever buy, simply because they
>>> know that
>>> the refurbished ones are carefully looked over and rebuilt.  So at a
>>> reduced
>>> price, you get what is, essentially, a new printer-- not a current
>>> version of
>>> whatever they're now making, of course, but the 3800 does everything I
>>> need.
>>>
>>> So . . . I bought a refurbished 3800 straight from Epson.  The cost was
>>> not bad
>>> at all, considering you also get a full set of inks. A week later, the
>>> local
>>> repair shop basically rebuilt the 3800 for me, for about $475.  So I now
>>> have 2
>>> working 3800's.  I think they're great printers, especially for digital
>>> negatives. I don't mind having  one as a back-up--  though I am happy to
>>> sell
>>> you one of them. :)
>>>
>>> So that's my story.  I'd go with a refurbished Epson 3800.  I question
>>> Epson's
>>> current quality control if one of their new printers/versions arrives in
>>> pristine box, completely dead. I have seen Canon printers in action, and
>>> I'm
>>> very impressed with them.  The reason I don't go that route is - still,
>>> at this
>>> point- Epson seems to be at the center of everything.  At this point, to
>>> buy
>>> another brand, seems like inviting trouble-- too much swimming against
>>> the
>>> tide-- and that's just tiring after a while. That's my 2 cents.

>>> Sent: Sun, September 25, 2011 2:56:01 PM
>>> Subject: [alt-photo] Recommendations for Replacement Printer? Input
>>> Needed!
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need your help here. I have an Epson 4800 that I've had for about a
>>> year
>>> and a half. I HATE the thing. It gets persistent nozzle clogs no matter
>>> what
>>> I do which cause such a waste of ink in getting rid of them. I've read
>>> everything on the net about preventing such clogs and I've found no
>>> solution. I bought it used and part of me thinks something has been wrong
>>> with it all along even though there's never been any problem with prints
>>> produces. At this point, the thing has a moist sponge inside the paper
>>> tray
>>> to raise the humidity. This is supposed to help keep the nozzles from
>>> clogging in dry climates (I live in Phoenix). In addition to the sponge,
>>> the
>>> whole printer is kept wrapped in plastic to prevent the escape of
>>> moisture
>>> from the sponge. This has made a slight improvement to the frequency of
>>> the
>>> clogs. What seemed to work for a while along with the sponge and plastic
>>> was
>>> to simply print off a  full color pallet maintenance print each morning
>>> which
>>> I do like clockwork. The maintenance print allows the printer to go
>>> through
>>> every color and doesn't waste anywhere near as much ink as running a
>>> nozzle
>>> check every day which is what the Epson rep I spoke to said to do. This
>>> appeared to be working for about a month. No clogs! You can imagine how
>>> happy I've been. Well yesterday, for seemingly no reason (no drop in
>>> humidity and no skipping of the maintenance prints) the thing clogged as
>>> if
>>> it hadn't been used in a year. I'm talking a serious clog. I'm currently
>>> still trying to get it unclogged and I've already wasted probably half of
>>> my
>>> newly bought ink. I have the print heads sitting on a Windex soaked towel
>>> at
>>> the moment (the ammonia is supposed to release clogs) and its been there
>>> for
>>> 12 hours and still clogged. Anyway, I'll keep plugging away at it.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I've had it with this thing. I'm going to replace it  but need
>>> some
>>> help figuring out what I should go with. I've realized that I don't
>>> really
>>> need the size of the 4800 and I think I would be more then happy with the
>>> 3880 or similar size printer. I thought about the 4900 but the price is
>>> high
>>> and like I said, I don't think I need the size. I've found conflicting
>>> reports all over the internet regarding the 3880's predisposition to
>>> clogs
>>> and other problems. I've also heard reports that some Epson printers are
>>> more prone then others to the problem of "venetian blinds". I asked the
>>> Epson rep about this and the guy had the gall to acknowledge that one of
>>> the
>>> printer models is especially prone to this but refused to tell me which
>>> one.
>>>
>>> I need some guidance here. I'm trying to figure out if I should get
>>> another
>>> Epson or change brands. Epson is pretty undeniably the standard but I'm
>>> hesitant to get another because of this year and a half long bad
>>> experience
>>> and waste of  thousands in ink. If i could confirm that the output and
>>> rendering of a Canon or some other system would match or surpass the
>>> Epson
>>> systems without the incessant clogging I would have no problem looking at
>>> another brand. My needs vary but over all 17x20 is probably all I need
>>> but
>>> it would be nice to have the option to go larger (which is why I got the
>>> 4800). I vary rarely ever print anything in color so its rendering of
>>> B&W/
>>> greyscale is much more important to me. I use the printer to print paper
>>> inter-negatives which I then print in the darkroom. Also I use the
>>> printer
>>> to print inter-positives on high quality paper like Museo which I then
>>> use
>>> in the darkroom as part of a copy print process. My primary concern is
>>> the
>>> highest quality print rendering, everything else comes second. Hope that
>>> clarifies things.
>>>
>>> I'm basically stuck between the Epson 3880 and the Canon Pro9500 Mark II.
>>> The Canon has a smaller max  paper size but it uses smaller ink
>>> cartridges
>>> which purportedly keeps the ink from settling and clogging. I've not
>>> heard
>>> any reports of clogs with the Canon. I've seen a report that the blacks
>>> are
>>> not as rich on the Canon. Both printers hold photo and matte black inks
>>> at
>>> the same time but the Epson purges more ink when switching between the
>>> two.
>>> The Epson uses larger $80 ink cartridges but it has a larger max paper
>>> size.
>>> I've head conflicting reviews about the Epson's propensity to clog. I
>>> don't
>>> print everyday but I have no problem running a maintenance print through
>>> the