[alt-photo] instant films (specifically Fuji fp-3000b)

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Sun Apr 22 17:00:19 GMT 2012

The news of the week made me wonder how many years did Edwin Land took to earn
$1bn. But then I noticed Fujifilm FP-3000B is still available and so I'm buying
a couple of instant film backs for my GX-680 to play with.

I didn't really follow the technology of FP-3000B (yet!) but I understand that
this film makes positive image with very fine grain with very high covering
power, i.e., a very small amount of silver, and also very large
surface-to-volume ratio. So, without testing anything myself, I'm anticipating
that, unless properly treated, the image might discolor or fade quite easily,
but at the same time, the image can probably be toned very easily and quickly.

What happens if the print is dipped in Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner and rinsed? I
am predicting that "liver of sulfur" type toners (e.g., Kodak Brown Toner) might
alter the grain structure too much, risking reduction of Dmax and contrast.
Image stabilizer based on organic thiol compounds (Fujifilm Ag Guard or my
published formula using mercaptobenzimidazole) would probably work but I'm not
sure if the film's chemistry already uses a similar mechanism to stabilize the
image.

Did anyone try or research along this line of ideas?

Any other fun idea to try with FP-3000B instant film?

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)