[alt-photo] Re: instant films (specifically Fuji fp-3000b)

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 17:38:48 GMT 2012

Fuji FP3000B, FP100B, and FP100C have all been around for quite some time.
They were each once available in the 4x5 variation as well. Today FP3000B
and FP100C is all the remains and only in the 3x4 size although FP100C45
can reportedly still be ordered from Asia I've heard.

I love FP3000B and have used it for years. It along with the recently
retired FP100B are in my opinion unique films worthy in their own right.
FP3000B is actually the only high speed film variant with little to no
discernible grain difference from its slower counterpart which was a very
unique trait.

As far as toning these prints, I don't know. People have been using these
films for various manipulation techniques for a long time but I haven't
heard of toning them. Instant films are contained and complete processes.
All of the chemicals needed and involved are in the pods and activate when
the film is pulled through the holder. The most common "fun" thing to do
with FP100C and FP100B (when it was available) was to lift the negative and
use that for various things. One can relatively easily salvage the film
negative from these two films. FP3000B on the other hand does not produce a
film negative but rather a paper negative requiring no salvage technique to
make use of. The paper neg looks to be of low contrast but is actually
quite scanable and I've heard of paper-neg practitioners actually printing
through them although I've never tried that. I've never really been one for
any of the manipulations because I see the value in the intact films
themselves. They can be quite beautiful.

If you experiment with the Selenium let us know your results.

-Francesco
www.francescofragomeni.com