[alt-photo] Re: ziatype

JoeSarff at aol.com JoeSarff at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 21:56:40 GMT 2012

Hi Chris:

Having lived in New Mexico now for over five years, I'm going to take a
poke a at your questions.

The Zia, or sun symbol, is as ubiquitous to New Mexico and it's people  as
oranges are to Florida, movies to California or the Yankees to New  Yorkers.
 It's everywhere, from the state flag, to my drivers license to  nik-nak's
sold at tourist traps.  To call the process the Ziatype  (referring to solar
printing out) is no big deal, not politically incorrect and  an insult or
affront to no one.

I believe the process was always a subset of the more widely practiced
'regular' platinum/palladium develop out process.  It was, I believe, more  for
people who had negs for more conventional silver printing who wanted to see
 them in platinum.

As to the book, books come in and out of print all the time.  I  believe
Carl Weese actually printed that one, not B&S.  I would look to  him for
answers.

Finally, as to the chemicals, 505/474-0890 and ask Leah or Dana.  I  really
don't know.

All the best

Joe Sarff

In a message dated 4/26/2012 9:15:25 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,