[alt-photo] Re: Tea toned cyanotype

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Sat Dec 15 15:25:23 GMT 2012

Alberto, if they bleach the image before toning, and if there's some
gallate / tannate compounds in the toner, then we can assume some
toning is taking place indeed. But I'm not sure if that can be proven
/ disproven by testing with the method outlined below. I agree that
most of the images put in tea or coffee without bleaching in the first
place, are mostly changed due staining of the paper base, since the
paper is changed, the perception of the image is changed along with
the paper. I wouldn't count that as "toning", that would be (in
agreement with you) just staining...

Regards,
Loris.